Oral Cancer: Common yet Treatable
Protecting yourself against oral cancer requires arming yourself with information. According to the American Cancer Society, oral cancer claims the lives of almost 8,000 Americans every year. Most of the deaths caused by oral cancer are a result of lack of awareness. Oral cancer is a highly treatable cancer in the early stages. Defend yourself and your family against the threat of cancer by scheduling regular dental examinations.
Early Oral Cancer Screenings in Lynbrook
Dr. Antonio Oliviero has invested in advanced technologies to provide thorough oral cancer screenings for our patients. While a visual oral cancer screening is standard with every dental checkup, if you believe you have an advanced risk of oral cancer, you may request a VELScope or Vizilite early oral cancer screening. Using a light that magnifies the appearance of suspicious cells, each system can detect cancerous tissue before it is visible in the mouth. You can read more about the differences between VELScope and Vizilite on our dental checkup page.
Some Signs of Oral Cancer
- White or red splotchy sores in the mouth
- Ulcers or lesions on soft tissues of the mouth that do not heal in 14 days
- Thick lumps inside the mouth or throat
- Chronic throat pain
- Change in voice
- Unexplained numbness in the throat or mouth
- Difficulty with speaking, chewing, or swallowing
Some Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
- Tobacco use, including smoking and chewing tobacco
- Excessive alcohol consumption (especially when combined with smoking)
- Family history
- Excessive exposure to UV rays from the sun or tanning beds
At our dental office in Lynbrook, we want our patients to have every resource available for protecting themselves against oral cancer. Familiarize yourself with the symptoms and know your risks. If you have concerns about your vulnerability to oral cancer, make an appointment with our Lynbrook dentist today.